Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Good, Bad and Ugly




I am kind of addicted to movie trailers; I watch them obsessively. I've used a variety of websites and I am going to compare two "good" ones (why would I use a bad movie trailer site?). There are good and bad qualities to both of these web sites so I will discuss some of them.



My favorite site is Apple's movie trailer site. First off, it's highly aesthetically pleasing. It is not inundated with advertisements; the pictures of movie posters are set in simple rows and the format doesn't change when you click to the next row of posters. You can change the order of the posters by release date, popularity, etc. The side bars are simple to navigate too. They offer more information, in lists, about movies currently at the box office.


One problem that I have with Apple's movie site (which is an issue that I have with most Apple software/products) is that when you search for something, the search isn't exclusive to the trailers site. If i were to search for "Karate," the site would come up with Ipad and Iphone applications, songs for your Ipod, etc. Even the top bar of the site is links to other apple products to purchase.


Another site I use a lot is traileraddict.com


It has a similar layout to the Apple site, but has a lot more advertisements along the sidebars which make the site more cumbersome. There is, however, a trailer search right at the top of the page to make it easy to find something that you may only have a few words to describe.

Another feature I like on the website is the "film database" functions. You can easily search for old trailers or clips with one click.

More generally, I like that Trailer addict's website is more gears towards movie news, clips, and trailers whereas Apple site is all about Apple products.



No comments:

Post a Comment