Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Web Critique - The Best and Worst of the Web

I decided to take a look at two magazine sites I'm pretty familiar with. I chose New York Magazine's site, simply because I like the content and read it often, and then I chose Texas Monthly's website because I intern there this fall and am thus exposed to it several times a week for work.

New York Magazine

The Good:
I love this site's content! It's so full of information; I think I looked at this site for everything when I was in the city, and I'm still addicted. There really is a little bit of everything here, from hard news, to fashion information, to dining guides. Design-wise, I feel like the site has lots of bold color choices, and fun yet unobnoxious graphics. It is also easy enough to navigate, and I like that there are drop-down menus with additional subheaders of whatever you could possibly be interested in that has to deal with fashion, entertainment, or what have you.

The Bad:
There is simply way too much going on. The tons of information thing is definitely a double-edged sword. While it's great that there's so much to read, it can certainly get a little overwhelming if you don't know what you're looking for on the site. If I didn't know anything about nymag.com and was directed here, I think I would leave immediately because all the information they show you on the front page is incredibly intimidating.



The Good:
Again, the information is a big draw to me. While it definitely is not as visually exciting as the New York Magazine site, the information seems to be a lot more streamlined, and certainly feels a lot more accessible than the former. Also, the simple black and white color scheme is pleasing on the eye, and the fact that all the text is adequately spaced helps to reduce strain on the eyes. Definitely one of my favorite magazine sites, aesthetically speaking. The menu is also very easy to navigate; everything is found either at the top menu (magazine content) or the one at the bottom (magazine production info).

The Bad:
Perhaps a bit bland, but other than that, I really don't see much wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment