Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Website Picks

I chose two band websites to illustrate how important clarity, design and usability are.

The differences are really subtle, but I think it's the small things that can make a site truly great and user-appropriate.

One of my favorites is from the band She and Him.

I enjoy using the She and Him website because it has:
  • a highly pleasant design that adequately reflects the direction and interests of the group and their fans,
  • an extremely usable front page with clear and large buttons that are easily understood by the viewer,
  • fun use of pictures and music player,
  • and enough content to actually flesh out their page correctly.
One of my not-so-favorites is from the band Bloc Party.

I don't enjoy navigating the Bloc Party website because it doesn't have:
  • clear options of where to go within the site and
  • a very visible menu.
Not having a clear cut menu on a page makes it almost excruciating for me to read. The menu doesn't have to be obscenely large or stereotypically placed, it just has to be visible and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment